Sunday, July 1, 2007

Sunday Morning Run

Yes, I've hit a milestone in my running career. If I recall correctly, today marks the first time since high school that I have actually gotten up early on the weekend just to work out. The alarm went off at 6:45 this morning... and I actually got out of bed at 6:50, and hit the road just a few minutes later. Yes, at this point, that's really early for me on a Sunday.

I decided to just run around the neighborhood, which is just about .9 miles/loop. I did a five minute warmup, three loops around the neighborhood, and a five minute cooldown. I ran the three loops in 32:48, but what's way more important is that it felt good! I didn't have the tightness that I had on Thursday, my asthma didn't act up nearly so much, and my legs were still pretty strong at the end. Granted, I was concentrating on going a little slower than last time, but I guess that's what I have to do for my training runs -- especially when I'm just starting out like this.

Of course, as we were going to bed last night, my lovely wife was saying that if we got up early enough so that it was still cool (it was about 76 when I woke up), she might join me. That lasted up until the alarm went off. Her first words of the morning... "Have fun." Of course, she has repeatedly said that she doesn't like running when it's more than 50 outside. Good thing we live in Florida, eh?

Oh, and there's a 5K in Jacksonville on Wednesday morning. And a pub crawl Tuesday night. What to do... what to do...

No comments: