Monday, July 9, 2007

Ooooh, that smarts!

Sunday morning, my lovely wife and I decided that we were going to go for a nice walk on the beach. It was before 10, and it seemed like such a nice day, so we headed to our local coffee house and picked up some drinks and then headed off to the beach. It was supposed to be a nice stroll. It ended up being a death march.

I'm not exactly sure when it happened, but at one point, we realized that we'd been walking for a really long time. LW asked me if we were going to be walking all the way to the Sea Turtle (a local hotel), and we decided that it seemed like a good idea. We were very wrong. As it turns out, the total length of our nice beach stroll was 6.4 miles. Don't get me wrong -- that would have been great, if we had been prepared for it.

Since we weren't expecting to go for such a long stroll, we hadn't slathered ourselves in sunscreen. And we weren't wearing good shoes. Or good clothes. And we ended up finishing after noon, when the midday Florida sun was beating down on us horrendously. We got burnt. To a crisp. And it hurts. Happily, I was wearing a shirt the whole time. So now I'm just a redneck.

Granted, we live in Florida. It wasn't the first time, and it sure won't be the last.

Moving on, LW wants to learn how to swim better. Given that I was a competitive swimmer in my youth (from when I was 7 to shortly before going to college), she turned to me to be her coach. Luckily, she doesn't have a bad stroke at all... just some tuning is necessary. Unfortunately, I don't remember all that many drills to get that tuning done. And even more unfortunately, she seems to have hurt her shoulder over the weekend, which very much affected her pool time.

Now, since her shoulder is hurt, she's taking it easy. And I am very happy about that. Mostly so that she can have a chance to heal and make sure she doesn't make it worse. Of course, there's a side benefit in that I didn't have to get up at 5:00 this morning to go to the gym. Instead, I woke up at 6:30 and dragged myself out the door. Some things got in the way of my time, so I had to cut my workout short... I just did the 10 minute cardio at the beginning, lifting for about half an hour, and then stretching (well, I threw the basketball for about five minutes, but not well). That got me to work a little after 9. Which means that I still have to get up early. Sigh.

Disappointing. But I know I can do it.

Now I just wish my neck would stop hurting.

2 comments:

Darcey said...

Wish I lived closer so you could be my swim coach, too. I finally went out an bough a new suit which is lap-swim friendly (because, duh, my bikinis are NOT) and a new pair of goggles.

I was going to do some laps on Saturday morning in lieu of weights, but they were doing an AquaFit class that started as soon as I finished my regular cardio. :P

Runner Leana said...

Oh, sunburn......ouch... Glad to hear your running is going well though!