Thursday, July 5, 2007

Oops

Thanks to everyone for their well wishes on the 5k yesterday. However, you know how plans sometimes go awry? Well... yeah. That happened.

The plan was to go to the pub crawl for just a little while. My lovely wife was going to come out a couple hours later, hang out for an hour or so, and then we would head home, ready to relax and get up early for the run.

In actuality, she arrived about 45 minutes after we started and said, "Do you want to split a pitcher?" Now, I've never been able to say "no" to her... especially when I've already been drinking and she wants to offer me more sweet, sweet beer. Then there was an issue where we couldn't go walking around the street with full beers, so we had to chug them to catch up with everyone else. It's a beach town on the 3rd of July -- how come we can't carry beer outside? Sigh.

So, I ended up getting home at about 2:30 in the morning, and we slept right through the race. I kinda figured that might happen, but not in so spectacular a fashion.

But they say that the only real mistakes are the ones you don't learn from. Now I know the truth... no pub crawls the night before a race. I'll get my carbo loading done in some other fashion from now on. But definitely not with so much beer. I hear pasta is good. Or potatoes. Maybe that would be a better way to spend the night before.

So, I don't have a time to report from the race. I did, however, get up and ran my three-loop trip around the neighborhood this morning. And it was hot. And it was humid. And my legs were dragging something fierce. For once, my lungs were feeling mostly OK, but my legs just weren't working past the first mile.

2.9 miles / 33:13 == 11:27 pace.

Oh, well... I know I'll have good days and bad days and going half mad days (any Buffett fans out there?), and today was pretty much expected to be a bad day. Tomorrow, we attempt to get up at 4:45 in the morning to get to the gym on time. But that shouldn't be that bad... we're not going out for beer tonight.

Next race: Vestcor 5K Bridges Run on July 21. And this one, I'm actually going to run.

No comments: