Wednesday, June 13, 2007

A Flock of Seagulls

Yeah, I know... I said it would be weeks before I ran a step.  But that was last week.  And since then, everything I've done has just felt better and better.  So it happened. 

I ran. 

I ran so far away.  

Well, not actually that far -- I was on a treadmill, after all.  I was at the gym this morning, going through my workout, which ends with 15 minutes of cardio.  According to the "published" workout, it's supposed to be on the elliptical machine, but I wanted to jump on the treadmill and see how things felt.  So I set it to a brisk walk. 

After about 5 minutes, things were feeling pretty good, so I set it to an even brisker walk (at 4.5 miles/hour).  

After 10 minutes, things were still feeling really good, so I started contemplating... should I?  It's been a long time since I took a running step, and I am walking pretty quickly.  But, golly gee, wouldn't it feel great to actually get some running in?

So at 12 minutes, I kicked it up.  Not fast.  6 mph.  10 minute mile pace.  For three minutes.  And you know what? 

It felt great.  

No comments: