Friday, June 22, 2007

30 Days Later

Thirty days ago, I let a strangely-dressed man cut into my leg and take some stuff out. Now, on any other day, that might be considered strange. But, I actually paid this guy to do it! And now, it's time to check in on how my leg is doing post-surgery.

Pretty. Darn. Good.

Honestly, there's only a very slight twinge in the leg sometimes when I get up from my chair that might last a few steps down the hall. And I noticed just a few days ago that I was crossing my legs without even thinking about it -- which has to be good. So, this is great news, right? I should be able to start training in earnest? (Not to be confused with Ernest Goes to the Track -- they never actually made that movie)

Well, not so much. My mouth is still hurting from the wisdom tooth extraction/dry socket, to the point where I really don't feel like doing much of anything. I get up, go to work, do as much as I can, and then head home and crash out on the couch eating whatever soft food I can find -- which generally aren't particularly healthy. Plus, it's not that much fun having soup for lunch in the middle of a Florida summer (yeah, our first day of "summer" was actually in April).

So, what to do?

How does someone motivate themselves to get up and start doing things when you really just don't feel like it? Honestly, I know that my jaw is going to hurt no matter what I do. And I know that I *really* need to get out and get running (note that full-scale training for my marathon starts in just over a month). It's not like a good two-mile walk would really hurt all that much more, right? Does the motivation just end up being, "Hey, how much worse can it get?"

In my head, I really want to get out and get my leg working again.

But other spots in my head sure don't want that.

1 comment:

Runner Leana said...

Bill, I hope you start feeling better and are able to get our for your training. Glad to hear the leg is doing better though!

By the way...you've been tagged! Checkout my blog for the details!