Thursday, May 1, 2008

Nike+ SportBand Review

For a couple days, we'd been planning on going for a run last night. Unfortunately, when I got home, I was greeted with the sight of a sleeping wife on the couch. Yeah, she slacked out, but she did look awfully cute, too. So, I berated her a little bit, put new Yankz shoelaces in my running shoes, and got ready to head out the door. I figured that after my performance last Thursday, I should go ahead and try to do another 5k or thereabouts, and see how well I can do, and how long I can go without a walk break. So, I put on my Garmin and my Nike+ and headed out the door.

For starters, I should mention the "install" process. Everything works remarkably similarly to the Nike+iPod setup -- the system comes with a small sensor that supposedly gets installed into the sole of a Nike shoe. Of course, I just recently got a pair of Brooks shoes, and I'm really not a fan of Nike, but luckily, Lana had previously gotten a little pocket for the sensor that attaches to the laces using Velcro, so I was still able to go ahead with my run.

I wanted to make sure that I had the running part of the whole thing properly timed out, so I left the Garmin waiting to start until my warmup was complete, but I did start the Nike+ for the warmup. To sync, you simply hold the big button down for three seconds, after which, it will attempt to find your shoe sensor. It will ask you to walk around until it can find it. Also, if there are multiple sensors around (such as at the start of a race), you may have to walk away from the group to sync up the sensor and the SportBand. Once you sync the system, you just press the button to start, and press the button again to stop. Finally, you can end the run completely by holding the button down for another three seconds. It's pretty simple, even if it took me a couple days to completely realize what to do. But that's because I'm an engineer, and I don't read instructions.

So, I completed my warmup. According to the Nike+, I did roughly .2 miles in 5 minutes of walking. When I completed the warmup, I started the Garmin, and proceeded to watch both for the next 3.1 miles.

For starters, let me mention that I have not calibrated the Nike+, and it showed. It was generally off by a bit -- at some points, the Garmin was showing my pace at 9:45, and the Nike+ was showing at 13:00! But most of the time, they were both pretty close to each other. From what I could tell, it seemed to be somewhat based on the length of my stride, and as I was running, I actually used that to note that I did need to shorten my stride. So in that, it actually helped. And I'm sure this will be corrected when I decide to calibrate the thing.

As for the rest, I like this product. The connectors seem to be solid, with snap-like connectors both to hold the band on your wrist, and to hold the module into the band. However, the connectors are deep enough to ensure that they will not accidentally become undone, but not so deep as to cut into your wrist at any time. When not running, you can use the connector as a simple watch (showing time only). When you are running, you can set it to show you current distance, current pace, time, or calories burned (if you entered your weight into your Nike+ profile).

As far as the online environment goes, I'm pretty sure that has been talked about more times, and significantly better than I ever could. But if you haven't seen it, I recommend just checking it out at http://www.nikeplus.com. It's well worth the time, and the online community was one of the major reasons that I made this purchase. Well, that and the upcoming rainy season in Florida, which will make me run inside several times.

So, let's move on to things that I am not particularly fond of. The display has no backlight, so it is nigh upon impossible to see in dim light. I *love* that the 'face' of the watch is removable and plugs directly into your USB port for updating, but the fact that the face is curved does make it difficult to plug into a slim laptop when it's sitting on a table. The only time that this is a problem is when you need to leave it plugged in to charge. Of course, I understand that this is so that it fits around your wrist better -- and I certainly don't fault them that. It's just something to be aware of. Finally, as a geek, I have to point out that the Nike+ Utility (no iTunes requirement) is only supported on Windows and OSX, so if you're a Linux user, I guess you're out of luck for now.

Other than that, I absolutely love the thing. It's light, it's comfortable, and it's small. For the time being, I'm still going to wear my Garmin anytime I'm running outside, but when the Nike+ is calibrated, I could see a time where I cease wearing the Garmin for my more standard runs around the neighborhood. Until that time, I'll be happily wearing both, and looking like the absolute gadget geek that I am.

Oh, and BTW, I was able to complete the 5K in under half an hour (~29:45), and without taking any walk breaks. And I felt pretty good about that.

On to tomorrow's Go Red For Women 5K!

7 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
E & J said...

Great review...I have been using mine for about a month and it works well. Calibraqtion is a must, I have it down to about 2/100th of a mile. I have two main drawbacks...one being no bakclight and another being that it is not water proof. I found this out the hardway after a shower and it took about a week fo the condensation to dry off from the inside.

ChrisGray said...

Eddy mentions a warning about water dangers, but strangely the manual states, "The SportBand water resistance is IPX-7, which means it can be immersed in one meter of water for 30 minutes at most." It does however not fare well with hot showers/saunas, and the condensation he found was no doubt due to that.

Since I'm a Linux user (out of luck as you well guessed), I've written on my attempts to get the Nike+ Sportband working thus far.

What widget are you using for your Nike+ stats on the sidebar? The only ones I could find are text only and not half as good, though I'm looking for Wordpress widgets and not Blogger ones.

Bill said...

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Ryan: I have to admit, I really like the challenges section.

Eddy -- I haven't tried to get mine wet yet, other than the massive amounts of sweat I pour onto the thing during a run. But the calibration is a definite must. Mine isn't quite right on, but it's pretty close I'm about 5% off per mile right now, and considering calibrating the thing again. But it's pretty good at this point.

Chris: Great page! Have you considered trying the VMWare Server for Linux? I believe it's free and has USB support. Other than that, I don't really have any good suggestions for you. As far as the widget goes, log into the Nike+ page and click on the "Edit" link under your profile name (upper left-hand corner). From there, click on the "Share My Profile" button. From there, click on "Grab the Code", which will copy the code for that widget in your clipboard. In blogger, I just had to create a new HTML widget and paste that code -- I'm not sure what Wordpress would make you do for that.

Thanks for reading, guys!

ChrisGray said...

That worked a charm, thanks. :)

Andrew said...

Howdy! Late to this, but I'm wondering... can you pause/resume runs using the SportBand? I have the Nike+ iPod thing already and I really like the ability to start and stop. Thanks for your help!

Andrew

ChrisGray said...

Yep, the same button you use to start and stop the sportband pauses - to start and stop you have to hold the button for three seconds, and to pause you just press it.

Works great when you're waiting for traffic to pass, or if you decide to say, sleep under a tree for an hour.