Monday, May 19, 2008

Monday Musings

As I was out on my runs on Saturday and this morning, I noticed that I was having a bunch of random thoughts. So, to the best of my recollection, here they are:

  • It's true... if you run long enough, you will have bad runs
  • And sometimes you'll have some great ones!
  • If you run in the morning, it's definitely a good idea to eat something first. Otherwise, your legs just quit on you... or on me, anyway.
  • Headbands may look really stupid, but they are one honking great idea when it's 85 outside
  • Running when it's 85 outside is a really, really bad idea.
  • Even in North Florida, morning runs are good. Evening runs are good. Noon-time runs are very, very bad.
  • Even though that was the best run I've had in a while.
  • Calibrating a Nike+ doesn't really make it entirely accurate. I just made 5% off in the other direction.
  • I love my Garmin
Basically, I've had a few rough runs in the last few weeks. My legs have just been like jelly, although my Saturday run (at noon... in North Florida) actually felt really good!

I did roughly 3.5 miles on Saturday (my first "long" run of marathon training), and about 3 miles this morning. I can tell you that 85 degrees and sunny seems to treat me better than not eating anything at all and having half a glass of water. Today's run was rough. I did my first mile in a good pace, and then I just completely ran out of energy. My legs were heavy and tight.

So, in an effort to at least get the tightness out of them, I'm braving new experiences... I'm going to my first yoga class tonight with the wife. I am not flexible and I have no balance, but hopefully I'll at least be able to have some fun with it.

1 comment:

Runner Leana said...

Good luck with the yoga! I really enjoy it and I think it helps my running a lot. Have fun!