Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Pre-Race Report: Disney's Race for the Taste

Or, "Better Late Than Never".

To truly tell the tale of this race, I need to start a copule days before. Lana and I had gotten into Orlando a couple hours after we had wanted to on Friday, so we just ended up meeting the 'rents at Big River (at the Boardwalk area) for dinner -- I had a nice chicken penne dish -- and some beer. As you might guess from the title of my last post, beer is involved in most of my best stories, but I don't want to get ahead of myself here. Anyway, since we were late, it was pretty much dinner and head to the hotel for bedtime. After all, the next day was a big day.

However, it wasn't big because it was race day. No, quite the contrary. It was the day before, where if I were an intelligent man, I would be taking things relatively easy. But we were at Disney, so that was right out the window. Well, I could at least control myself a bit, right? Well... see above re: Disney. We decided to go old school and head to the Magic Kingdom to let the kid inside me out to play. And he had some fun. We walked all over that park... repeatedly. I won't bore you with the details, but I think I should have been wearing my Garmin that day, just to see what we really did. Maybe next time...

At about 5:30, we decided to leave the Magic Kingdom and head over to Epcot, where we had dinner reservations. I think that by now, my loyal readers have learned enough about me to know that I don't do things in a conventional way. So, what would be the best food for training for a distance run? Of course -- the German buffet!

Several sausages, lots of salads, German cheesecake, more spaetzle than you can imagine, and a liter (yes, a liter) of Oktoberfest beer later, we were ready to move on, so we got out of the restaurant -- just in time to see the fireworks. We waited on them while Mom tried out her "fireworks" setting on her camera (which apparently doesn't work that well), and then staggered to the car and went back home. We finally got to bed at about 10:30.

...and woke up at 4:45. It was race day, and I was actually excited! Granted, I wasn't working on much sleep, but this was the great day that I had marked on my calendar months ago.

My first 10K.

And it didn't disappoint.

But now it's late, and I'll have to continue later... when I have the pictures.

No comments: