Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Not by the hair of my shinny shin shins.

Today's run could have been better. I got my pacing a little bit better, in that I didn't go out quite so fast. My first mile (no walking) was done in just over 10 minutes. After that, I did 4 minute run/1 minute walk for a while, and it felt really good. Heck, I was even able to run faster than the garbage truck -- which ended up being a mighty good thing, since I hadn't put my trash out last night. However, after about 2.5 miles, things started to feel less great. My shin started hurting.

Now, I'm not sure at this point whether it was actually shin splints or not (since it was only one leg, does that make it "shin splint"?), but it wasn't quite pleasant. I didn't let it get bad -- I started walking a lot more after that. Right now, it's still a little tender, but it's not a sharp pain... it's pretty dull, and almost feels more like soreness than anything else, but it's still not something I want to take for granted. Any suggestions?

4 comments:

Tom@RunnersLounge said...

Yup, I've head a single shin splint. Generally if it's tender to the touch--if you press on the area a bit, that's an indication of swelling in the uscle "chamber" between the tibia and fibula. If so, ice and ibuprophen works for me.

Bill said...

Thanks for the tip -- I know I'll be trying it out when I get home tonight!

Chuck Beretz said...

Yikes. I have too much experience with shin splints. Yes, one is entirely possible. If it is shin splints, I bet they are caused by overstriding and hitting your heel too hard -- very common with new runners.

Ibuprofen and ice will help the symptoms, but the only way to get rid of them completely (other than to stop running entirely) is to obtain proper footwear and change the surface you run on.

A few recommendations:

(1) Discontinue running until you can resume without pain. If you have pain with walking, don't try to run.

(2) Make sure you have the proper shoes for your foot -- MOST people wear the wrong shoes. Even small differences in shoe design can have dramatic effects. Bring your present running shoes to an orthopedist or sports doc.

(3) As to surface, just say no to asphalt and concrete: try to design your runs so that they are on grass and trails or some other shock-absorbing surface (e.g. a rubberized track).

Good luck!

SouthernChickie said...

Yep, my dear son-in-law, I am not much of a runner anymore, but I do have to agree.

It's the way you are hitting your heel. Might want to find a really good show store, and have someone from there watch your pace as you run around the parking lot. (Crazy- I know, but the Sports Shoe here in Buckhead has a guy who does that, and he is the "master of the shoe"

A new pair of shoes might do the trick.

Tell my wayward girl to call her mom sometime.

Love, Me.